Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Sunday, May 13, 2012

An Homage to Mama

(CBS News) In virtually every language in every corner of the world, the first sound a baby makes that can be called a word is MAMMA. In ancient Latin MAMMA became the word for breast - our first source of nurture, comfort and love - and for all humankind a source imagery and medical challenge across the centuries. Our Cover Story is reported now by Tracy Smith:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3445_162-57433313/the-mystery-of-breasts-inspiring-vulnerable/?tag=contentBody;cbsCarousel

I saw this on CBS Sunday Morning today.  I'm not much for routines, but this is the one constant in my week.  At 8:00 sharp, I head to the living room.  Like clockwork, The Daddler has fetched the newspaper, fed the dog, let her out and back in, made his coffee, and microwaved his muffin.  When he finishes that, he heads to his master suite for ablutions.  A little while later, he appears.  Fresh as a daisy, looking quite dapper in his Sunday best.  He sidles up to my sofa and sits on the edge, so I can check his collar to be sure the back of his tie doesn't show.  I tug on it, and pat his shoulders, and tell him he looks nice. 

Then I ask him how much he wants to put in the offering plate.  He has a system, and I'm on the verge of figuring it out.  A normal Sunday is $25.  The first of the month is $100.  Today was $50.  I think maybe holidays merit a little extra.  I wait for a commercial break, and head down the hall to retrieve his checkbook from my office.  I write the check and fill out the offering envelope, which he's placed on the coffee table next to my spot on the sofa.  When I finish, I hand it to him.  He checks it, then licks the flap to seal it.  He tucks it into his Bible, and then, he reads the Parade magazine from the paper.  Meanwhile, we're watching CBS Sunday Morning, and I'm doing the crossword puzzle, and he putters around.  He puts on his suit coat, and takes Lucy out for a trip to the back yard.  They come back in and he gives her a treat.  At precisely 9:37, he picks up his bible, puts the remote control on the coffee table for me, and says, "I'm goin'."

It's a sweet little routine.  Comforting.  And this morning, it meant so much to me, since it was my second year without my mother.  And to make matters worse, Kiddo and I had butted heads the day before.  I remember asking The D last year if he still missed his mother.  He said, "Every day."  Wow.

I guess there's nothing else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment