Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Meaning of Life...

...I've found it.  Get ready.  It's so very simple.

Here goes...

Pegboard.

That's right.  I think this will be the cure for all that ails me.  My panacea, so to speak.

I first stumbled onto it when I was cleaning out The Daddler's workshop at his and mother's house.  He had lots and lots of little brackets.  All different shapes and sizes.  And they were old, which is cool.  Like his beautiful minnow bucket.  Wow.  I didn't really think about it until my plumber admired it.  It was sitting out with so much detritus on my carport when he came for his weekly visit.  I'm not exaggerating - I'm snake-bitten when it comes to plumbing.  This week, it's the dishwasher at my old house.  Last week, my garbage disposal (the third time in a year).  The week before, installation of a water line for the refrigerator which will not fit in the tiny niche in the kitchen cabinets.  Do they make dorm fridges with ice-makers?  The week before that, two clogged drains and a stripped faucet handle.  Damn, I love it when more than one thing goes wrong at a time.  Two birds... 

Before that, the sewer line to the street.  Several toilet episodes.  We have three.  The lever which wouldn't fully divert the water from the tub faucet to the shower head.  The D's spewing Waterpik shower head hose - I managed that one on my own.

Did I mention the morning that I had no hot water?  Turned out, the HVAC guys had turned off the gas to the hot water heater the day before, and neglected to turn it back on.  Big relief to find out that it was an easy (no-cost) fix.  I didn't even mind feeling greasy all day.

Ok.  Back to the original point of this post.  I spent a little time in the shed tonight.  Playing around with all the fun little pegboard brackets.  Hanging things up that had, heretofore, been scattered around at random.  In addition to The Daddler's brackets, a friend had given me some of his unused pegboard accessories. 

I made a dent.  In my flotsam and jetsom.  All because of it.  The Pegboard.  I'm going to install it wall to wall in my house.  I'll have so much fun with my brackets.  And once I'm organized, I'm sure I'll find myself with time on my hands.  And when I do, I'm gonna grab that gorgeous minnow bucket, head to the bait shop, and catch some crappie or bream with The Daddler.

Before that happens, though, I will have organized all his rods and reels, and hooks, lines, and sinkers.  Which reminds me.  The most beautiful sight I can think of is that of a little red and white fishing bob getting pulled under and then popping up from the muddy brown pond water I'd been gazing at, quietly, for what seemed like hours.  Prettier than a sunset over the river.  Fireworks on the fourth of July.  They're so cliche.  Give me a minnow bucket and bob any day...

No comments:

Post a Comment