Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Loquacious

That's my new favorite word. It sounds like a good thing, don't you think? Kinda like eloquent.

Wellll, it's probably just a gentle way of calling someone a chatterbox. Or as my mother used to say, having diarrhea of the mouth. I'm the queen of rationalization, so I blame this annoying trait of mine on several plausible causes. Middle Child Syndrome for one. Working from home. Alone. But mostly, The Daddler gig. I try to talk to him, but honestly, it's not the same as gabbing with my GFs.

Here's an example of my latest attempt at conversing with him:

Me: Daddy, Deb just woke up, so I'm going to fix lunch. She's going to come later to take you to get your hair cut.

The D: What?

Me: (Louder and more slowly) Deb just woke up, so I'm going to fix lunch. She's going to come over later to take you to get your hair cut.

The D: (Grimacing) What?

Me: DEBBIE...IS...COMING...TO...PICK...YOU...UP...LATER. I'LL...FIX...YOUR...LUNCH.

The D: Ok.

Let's be clear. I'm not complaining. Just venting a little. I swanee, without this blog, I'd go stark, raving mad. I try to spread my loquaciousness around among my friends. For some reason, they still like me. I try to buy them little presents at random times to make up for being so annoying. Since I never remember birthdays, and the holidays overwhelm me, I've adapted. It's a brilliant strategy, I must admit. See, on birthdays and Christmas, people are flooded with gifts. Since it's the thought that counts, if I remember, I call the birthday girl/boy, and launch into my sad imitation of "Happy Birthday, Mr. President." I wax loquacious, expressing my love and affection for my beloved victim friend, and say we have to get together soon to celebrate properly. It helps that I send really funny cards at random times throughout the year. I found a great one for FF which featured a b&w photo of a little boy scratching his bare bottom. I can't remember the punch line, or why it made me think of him, but I figured it would make him laugh, since he gets my goofy sense of humor. Because his is goofier. If that's possible. But my gifts are perfect. It really is better to give than to receive. Especially when it's unexpected and as a bonus, can't be compared to the one the recipient opened earlier that day. It's cheaper, too. I went to Lowe's yesterday. I asked the location of the clearance plants. Jackpot. The deals were unbelievable. I won't go into details except to say that I spent $37, and if I'd bought this stuff at full price, it probably would've cost me over $500. I get a huge rush from crazy-good deals. And even better, I love to spread the wealth. I'll put a pot of lavender (OMG, it smells sooo good) into a pretty container and drop it by Angela's - my BFF who has everything. I'll take some things to my surrogate mom. They'll love it.
Speaking of plants, I need to get busy. I have lots of holes to hew and plants to plant. I'll take pictures and post them later. All for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment