Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Who Knew?

Now that I'm coming up for air after filing or extending way too many tax returns, I'm catching up on email, blogging, et cetera. A fellow pseudo-intellectual friend sent me these links to lists of common mispronunciations. Actually, he's a real academician (and he reads my blog) - the "pseudo" part only applies to me.

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style-and-usage/mispron.html

http://www.primermagazine.com/2008/learn/10-words-you-mispronounce-that-make-people-think-youre-an-idiot

I love words. I strive to use them responsibly, but I mess up all the time. I still cringe when I think about mispronouncing "fiefdom" (it's pronounced "feef-dom", not "fife-dom"). I blame this on two things. My vocabulary is better than average because I read a great deal. By the way, did you know there's no such word as "alot"? I learned this in 11th grade English, but I don't comply with it alot. Dr. Middleton was the best teacher I've ever had. She had a PhD and had never married. She was brilliant and extremely eccentric. She was very well-endowed - one time we counted the hooks on the back of her bra. I think they were in the double digits.

She took a dislike to a girl in our class. I'll call her Daphne. Daphne was crazy-smart, but she had no social skills. In retrospect, I think she had Asberger's Syndrome. Dr. M didn't like the fact that Daphne read books during her lectures, rather than sitting in rapt attention like the rest of us. I remember the day that Dr. M transformed into a female Mikhail Barishnakov. She pranced over to Daphne's desk, did a little pirouette, snatched up the book, danced back to her desk, and ceremoniously tossed it into the round metal garbage can. Needless to say, we were taken aback. But Dr. M didn't miss a beat. She launched back into explaining the difference in the styles of Ibsen and Chekhov. Which I still remember. That reminds me - Hedda Gabler is playing at Theater Memphis.

I also remember the bake sale. I guess Daphne was excused from class for it. Dr. M told us not to eat Daph's cookies. That they were surely poisoned. Which triggered a discussion of the final act of Romeo and Juliet.

Back to my original point of this post. I was surprised to learn that my pronunciation of commonly mispronounced words wasn't always correct. But I was also pleased to see the ones I say right, especially because I often hear them mispronounced. "Often" is case in point. No "T". Dr. M taught us that.

I can forgive the occasional mis-pro, but one thing I cannot forgive is the abuse of the word "literally." It makes me crazy. I need to compile a list of this and my other peeves. Of which there are many.

Ok, I just realized that it's Tuesday and that I'm going to have surgery to remove these stupid pins from my hands in the morning. So I should take care of a few odds and ends.

Over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment