Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wednesday Part I



Woke up at 4:30. That's good because I have so much work to catch up on after yesterday's bout of blogorrhea. So I'm gonna finish here and watch Squawk Box. I missed Becky and Joe yesterday because I slept past 8. Becky Quick is my celebrity girl crush and Joe Kernan is really funny. Oh, good, futures are up!

My mood is way too dependent on the market. I think it would be less stressful if I weren't in charge of The D's account. I put him in HOG (Harley Davidson), and it was up 8% yesterday - huge! Must've had positive earnings surprise. But since he doesn't know what I'm doing, it's not as stressful as the two other accounts I influence. My main client lets me make trades in his Schwab account. We strategize about it though and I get his approval before I do anything significant. Since he's an attorney, he knows that I have no business doing this. You're supposed to have a license to give investment advice. But it's not a big chunk of his savings, and I tell him not to be mad if I lose it all (I had IndyMac right before it went belly-up). It helps that I've crushed the benchmarks in the year or so I've been playing with his money. And there's my friend Shlomo, the conservative bank attorney. Same thing. Both of them have a couple of dogs I put them into, but I won't let them sell. The winners more than make up for them. And to quote Warren B, I eat my own cooking.

Last night's talk radio topic was something crazy about the 12 dimensions (I thought there were only three) and chakrah with a little about extra-terrestrials thrown in. Needless to say, I went right to sleep. That's why I woke up at 4:30. Only problem was my weird cat crying during the night. I thought she was locked in a closet (she slips in sometimes). Before I could summon enough consciousness to go look for her, though, she jumped up on my bed. I think she has an eating disorder. She's constantly crying for more food, even though her bowl is always full. Come to think of it, she does throw up all the time. And I've seen her standing in front of the mirror with a worried look on her face. Can a cat be bulimic? I refuse to take her to a cat shrink. My housekeeper told me she saw The D pull her tail. Wonder if that could be a factor.

I did it again. Double booked. Care manager coming at 10 to introduce Shernitra's replacement. And I scheduled an interview at Panera with the cute bartender from Huey's - she has a biz degree and I want her to come to work for me part-time. I've got to have help with my work now that I have a great new client. Plus, I'm meeting with a start-up biotech company next week.

About that. I already schmoozed in an email about how I'm passionate about biotech companies and that I've learned so much about that sector from my shrewd investing. I'll be sure to tell them about hitting the jackpot with Human Genome Sciences stock. I paid $7, but quit watching it when it dropped to 45 cents. Until one day when it jumped 242% (it was up to $3.50 at the time.) FDA approval of new lupus drug. It's over $24 now. Should I mention Rosetta Genomics even though I've lost my shirt in it? It's a company in Israel which develops microRNA-based diagnostic stuff. I think it's something to do with RNA slicing (or is it splicing?). It could be a chance to drop the word deoxyrybonucleic acid - DNA for short. Take off the dexoxy prefix and you've got RNA. I imagine it would seem stilted to use the long version. Maybe I could mention that my love of genetics started a long time ago when I read The Double Helix in my Mensa book club. But the truth is, it was required reading in h.s. biology. I did reread it a year or so ago, though. It really was pretty exciting. It was a page-turner. Suspenseful. Turns out the research world is extremely competitive and is full of intrigue - kinda like a Clancy novel. Ok, now I'm sounding like a major geek, especially after my Master Tax Guide thrill yesterday. Which reminds me. I forgot to mention a free flash drive from the payroll guy. Hope he didn't think I was rude when I asked if one gig was the best he could do. Actually, he got my weird sense of humor - he's a little weird, too. Which is good in my book. Oh, and just for the record: I have never belonged to Mensa - that would just be geeky, and arrogant, too. Plus, I'm sure I wouldn't qualify.

Back to prospective client. I'm already worrying about what to wear. And whether I should wear my glasses. Is it better to look cute or smart? Hey, Becky Quick is really smart and very pretty. And she's a financial guru with only a poly-sci degree. So is it that far-fetched that an accountant has a huge interest in the human genome? I have lots of reading to do first. But the prez/CEO (who's a doc) probably won't expect that from an outsourced CFO. Still, it might make an impression. Back to what to wear. Hate to admit it, but I do own a Hillary-esque black pantsuit. It looks professional but it's SOOO boring. If I wear it, the glasses are definitely out.

Last but not least. The D told me he had a good poop last night! Huge relief. Better get busy. I'm sure I'll have lots of weirdness to report later...

No comments:

Post a Comment