Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Catalyst, Part II

To continue the series of how my life is different since I took over the care and feeding of The Daddler, I'll write about The Good House.  I wasn't even looking for a new house.  But one day, in one of The D's many doctors' waiting rooms, I was making small talk with another Daddler-type.  I mentioned that I needed to sell Mother and Daddy's house and that it was a terrible time to try to sell.  He told me that his church had been trying to sell its parsonage for three years.  Turns out, the parsonage was less than a mile from my house.  And bigger.  Five bedrooms, three baths.  Two stories.  My house had four bedrooms and two baths, but with all the furniture I'd had to move for Daddy, we were bursting at the seams.

We stopped to look at the parsonage on the way home.  The church secretary let us in.  When I walked upstairs and saw the Enchanted Aerie, I was sold.  The bedroom was huge and compared to my master bath, so was the bathroom.  Plus, there was another bedroom.  Downstairs, there was the master suite for The Daddler, a bedroom for Kiddo and a room for my office.  A formal living room for The D and his big ass TV and a den for my big ass TV (which I never watch, but Kiddo's made good use of it this summer).  The kitchen was lots bigger, complete with an alcove surrounded by a bay window.  Lots and lots of windows - good light all through the house.  And a huge plus  - a million electrical outlets.  Wow. 

A huge lot with huge oak trees, a fenced yard, an open field beside us, a new roof and two new A/C units.  It's great to have a separate one for upstairs.  I like to sleep in a cold room. 

The Daddler was against it at first.  He didn't like the windows.  I told him he didn't get a vote.  When I showed him the raised bed for gardening at the end of the driveway, he got on board.

The move was hellish and I'm still surrounded by boxes and I don't know where anything is.  But all of a sudden, I'm making progress.  A friend told me about FlyLady (I added a link) and I'm becoming a believer.

The D keeps his bedroom and living room immaculate.  I guess it's that military discipline.  Mother was in the Air Force.  She told me many times that I wouldn't have lasted a week.  She's right.  I'm not the compliant sort.

Well, it's time to set my timer and get something accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment