Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Monday, August 1, 2011

Random Musings

I'm going to break my rule that I'm not going to complain about the weather. So banal. I decided to go for a run this morning, and damn, it was awful. It probably didn't help that it's been two weeks since my last confession. I mean run. The heat index is 110 today and the actual temperature will be 100 degrees. And I went at 9:00. So much for my lizard tendencies to not be bothered by the heat.

Speaking of heat, which leads to sweat, I have a funny story to tell. In a moment of largesse, I impulsively bequeathed my beloved Subaru to Kiddo to take to college in the fall. It's a stick shift, so he had to learn to drive it (I narrowly avoided whiplash). He was motivated, however, by the desire to drive something less grandma-ish than a 97 Lumina or a 99 minivan. I was motivated by how safe my precious Subaru is - all wheel drive, antilock brakes, airbags, you name it! Not bad for a 2001. I'm such a good mother.

On several occasions, I've been tempted to take it back when Kiddo's been not-so-nice to me. That seemed to get his attention. But I decided to embrace the minivan. After all, I'm 50 years old and it's practical, paid for, and The Daddler likes it.

Sooo, the other day, Kiddo was hounding me to go to Sam's. Ugh. The D loves Sam's. So the three of us loaded up in the Outback. As soon as I got in, I noticed the stench. Like a locker room. I asked if he had sweaty clothes in the car. No. I asked The D if he could smell it. "Yea, it smells pretty bad." Kiddo grinned. He couldn't smell it. I told him to take towels so his sweat doesn't soak into the upholstery.

On the way home, we rode with the windows down. Don't know which was worse, the heat or the stink. I guess the heat was better - my nausea subsided.

Later on, I figured it out. Kiddo marked his territory. He knows how sensitive I am to smells. When he was in 8th grade, he'd let a big ole' stinky fart on the way home from school. He'd wait for my reaction. And take great pleasure in it. He seemed to relish my reaction to the Subaru-funk smell equally. I bought a multi-pack of Febreze at Sam's.

Ok, I've spent way too much time on the stink thing.

I need to cover some other topics, but it's 11:00, so I think that will have to wait until later. Time to think about lunch for D.

1 comment:

  1. Hottest July on record: http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news/extremes/2010-07-30-1Ahotjuly30_ST_N.htm

    ReplyDelete