Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Friday, April 29, 2011

Denouement: 5 pm to Midnight

Wow. I actually made progress. Some of my battles came to fruition. My struggles paid off. Hard to believe how things fell into place before the end of the day. Here goes...

After umpteenth phone call to home warranty people and their contract repair dummies, I finally got Fred. After Kevin the Clueless Blob last night, I got David, the nice guy who knew he was in over his head today and called for backup. Fred to the rescue.

David said he couldn't hook up my washer for me (the movers didn't do it - I think I told them to leave before they got to that). So when Fred came, I said I knew it wasn't covered under the home warranty but if he would just watch me do it and tell me if I was doing something wrong, I'd really appreciate it. He relented. So I got behind the washer and tried to shove it out from the wall. Heavy. He helped. Then I squeezed behind the washer. Started juggling hoses and electrical cords. Finally he told me to move out of the way. Hot Damn! He even helped me move a huge cabinet the frat boys had left in the laundry room. I tried to talk him into doing a couple loads of laundry, but he refused.

I showed him the attic leak. He quickly identified the problem. Something to do with glue, or the lack of glue. Then we tackled the biggie. The water leak from somewhere which was running down behind the wall from the roof and causing major wet, stinky carpet in the downstairs bathroom. I told him he'd have to cut the wall open. He agreed. He couldn't find a leak. I told him it was the vent pipe. He disagreed.

I told him to just forget it. It couldn't be solved. He said he wasn't leaving until he figured it out. I puttered around while he puzzled over it. Fixed The D leftover pizza. He didn't bitch about it. Acted like he enjoyed it, in fact.

Then Fred appeared. He told me to go upstairs and run water in the sink in the upstairs bathroom. To leave it going until he told me to turn it off. So I did. Decided to pee while it was running. Like always, everything happens while you're on the toilet or in the shower. He came running up the stairs and I snatched my pants up at the last minute. He told me to turn off the water. The mystery was solved.

There was a clog in between the upstairs sink and the downstairs sink and it caused the water to back up in the downstairs sink and run onto the floor. Hallelujah! No insidious mold growing in the walls. Just wet, stinky carpet. I'll just have to pull it up. I think I'll get tile instead.

Fred thought he'd have to call someone with the right equipment to fix it, but then remembered he might have something that would work. He did. Wow. I told him he was too smart for that stupid company. He agreed. It was true. I told him he should start his own biz. Hope he does.

Plumbing resolved. Just remembered. He forgot to collect the $60 deductible. They can take it outta my hide.

Back to Comcast. The cable box in The D's living room stopped working. I'd spent an hour on the phone with Alex in Mexico in the morning getting it to work. Back on the horn with Comcrap. Miracle of miracles - I got a lady with a brain. The problem was that I'd taken the boxes from the old house and when the renter called to switch service to her name, it disabled my boxes. I was told earlier that I'd have to take them in to the cable office (think three hours, minimum) and get them to switch them over to the new address. I begged Sarah, the sweet Comcast lady, to see if she could do it on the phone. I told her I believed in her. I told her how I was ready to kill Daddy and he would make my life a living hell if I didn't have his tv's working and that I'd promised my kiddo I'd record the Royal Wedding in the morning (I don't know what's up with that), and that I'd leave to go to the cable office right then but I was stuck waiting for the plumber. Then I mentioned my close relationship with the man at the helm of Comcast (could I get in trouble for lying and saying that I slept with their prez in college?) and that I was a VIP and Judy (from the install debacle) could vouch for me.

Oh, I also got a mysterious blog comment from someone who says he's with Comcast and that he's sorry for my trouble. Gotta email him and ask for a lifetime supply of PPV. Not that I ever sit still long enough to watch anything for more than 45 seconds at a time. It's pretty much Squawk Box and HGTV for me these days.

Sarah and Judy got me fixed up and helped me program the remotes so they'd work both the channel AND the sound. When it finally all worked, I told them I loved them for the umpteenth time and that I'd mention them to Brian (the prez) at our next illicit rendezvous.

I drug The D from his bedroom to his living room and handed him the remote. He looked skeptical and said the volume didn't work, but it did. Now there.

Oh, that reminds me. Sarita said he seemed sorry for hollering at me about the litter box yesterday. Couldn't believe that. He did seem somewhat penitent. He went outside quite a few times during the day and puttered around the yard. Came in and told me he'd done some work. There was a nice little stack of limbs by the mailbox.

Bulimic cat seems happy at last. She loves running up the stairs.

I finished off my day with something new. Bathtub Skyping. I was so tired that I decided to kill two birds with one stone, so I ran my bathwater first (without fear of leaks) and perched the computer on a little stool next to the tub and dialed up FF. I didn't fall for it when he told me to point the camera down a little because he could only see the top of my head. Does he think I'm stupid or something?

Oh, well. I think I'll get back to sleep now. What a difference a day makes...

No comments:

Post a Comment