Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Friday, June 3, 2011

Deep Breath...

Got The D packed up and shipped out. It felt exactly the way it did when we dropped Kiddo off at summer camp. And I think he was just as excited as Kiddo was.

I'm really, really excited about my trip, too. I'm so overdue to get away. And I love, love, love the ocean. It is so incredibly calming to me. I have a feeling I'll be a different person when I get back. Maybe I'll start tracking the number of times the word "fuck" appears in a post. I think it would be a pretty good barometer of my stress level.

Right now, I'm so nervous, though. I made the mistake of trying to paint my fingernails to cover the patches of Gorilla Glue I can't get off. Given the fact that my hands are shaky and really sweaty, there's Cute as a Button nail polish going way outside the lines. Is it rude to work on your nails at the airport? At finishing school, they taught us that other than applying lipstick and powdering your nose, all other forms of grooming are strictly forbidden. Too bad men don't know that. How many times have you been in a business meeting and a guy pulled out nail clippers and started clicking away? It's been too many for me. I once had a boss who would take an Acco fastener and dig wax out of his ear. No, I am not making that up. But then, I worked with a bunch of accountants.

Oh, that reminds me of a really yucky story. I had another boss who used Skoal during tax season. One day I was standing by his desk while he went over some of his review notes with me. I bumped his Coke can with my butt and it spilled. Of course, I started to run to get paper towels to clean it up and he told me he'd take care of it. And then I realized that it wasn't Coke. Ick.

That reminds me of another story. Once I was flying on one of those dinky planes (like the one today, I'm sure) and along came a grubby looking guy down the aisle, and the seat next to me was empty, natch. He was wearing a black t-shirt with the arm holes cut out. Don'tcha just love seeing hairy pits? He did not smell good. I didn't make eye contact. He had a plastic Pepsi bottle - half full. After we took off, I heard a scraping sound. Like a fingernail on cardboard. I couldn't figure out what it was so I glanced over. He was opening a brand new can of Skoal. Great. It smelled so strong. And then the spitting commenced. I talked the flight attendant into giving me the one empty seat in the plane - the microscopic one at the very back next to the bathroom. I decided that claustrophobia was better than nausea. Thank god it was a short flight.

Hopefully, today's will be more pleasant. However it goes, I'm sure I'll forget all about it when I see Mr. Man. I can't wait for him to wink at me with his blue eyes. He's one of those people who can do it without scrunching up his face. Like me. I've been practicing, though. In fact, I've been practicing lots of new things. Playing the guitar, speaking Polish, and making cabbage and Kielbasa soup, to name a few.

Ok, I'd better run. It's time to head to the airport. Over and out...

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear about this weekend, L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now it is Monday afternoon--the suspense is great to hear about this weekend,
    L

    ReplyDelete