Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

High Anxiety

I woke up with it. My first thought was this morning's appointment with the urologist. I'm anxious on at least two levels. Mostly, I'm afraid The D might have prostate cancer. As I understand it, it's almost inevitable if a man lives long enough. But I also understand it's very treatable and slow-growing. Still. After my brother's fatal sarcoma at age 41, my sister's breast cancer at 40 (she's fine after 6 years), and Mother's pancreatic cancer, it scares the shit out of me.

My other, much less dire, worry is talking about my father's reproductive organs. I suppose I'll just turn my head during the exam. I can handle hearing questions about urination (The D and I have already discussed that, and I'm sure I'll have to translate for him), but I'll die if questions about erections or ejaculation or libido ensue. After hearing Mother tell the nurse that she was sexually active, though, I'll survive.

Ok, I'm on the verge of hyperventilating, so I'm gonna hit the shower. I need to figure out how to get to the urology clinic, what to wear, etc. It's times like this when I get paralyzed by small decisions, like what to wear, whether I have time to shave my legs and if they need it. The D, however, enjoys his doctor visits. He's dressed and ready and reeking of Old Spice. Deb buys him gallons of it. It's not helping my nausea.

I hope we don't have to wait forever. I'll try to figure out some work to take. I think I'm gonna buy a netbook for times like this. I think they're incredibly cheap now, thanks to the invasion of the tablets. For today, though, I'll just grab some magazines, because I'm sure the waiting room won't have Glamour or Oprah. Probably just Field & Stream, Travel & Leisure and the ubiquitous WebMD magazines. And lots of pamphlets on prostates. I'll try to resist the urge to read those. Maybe I'll be in luck and they'll have Garden & Gun...

No comments:

Post a Comment