Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Monday, January 31, 2011

Pretty Good Monday

After drowning in a pool of angst the last few days, I was rescued with resolution today. Amazingly, I'm learning to breathe when the panic sets in. It also helps that I'm making progress. Still, everything is much harder than it should be.

Like today when I called the VA. I applied for benefits for Daddy for aid and assistance, upon the advice of his elder law attorney. Barely got the letter in on December 31st. They replied last week, saying my letter served as an informal application, but that I needed to fill out "the" form. They didn't tell me which form. I looked online yesterday, but couldn't figure it out for the life of me. So today I called. Went through the whole fucking phone tree - not sure if I was on the right branch. Pushed zero to talk to a real person. Got a message that my approximate wait time was one minute. 45 minutes later, I had to hang up to get The D to his dentist appointment. That reminds me. His old (quack)dentist called and woke me up to discuss the accusations of fraud and incompetence I made to his office manager Friday. Amazingly, he charmed the pants off cynical, skeptical me. It helped that the $975 bill he'd kept sending past due statements for was a double billing and I owed nothing. I knew if Mother didn't pay it, there was a reason.


Took The D to my dentist. Told him what quack said and realized that quack shaded the truth. At this point, I'm done with him. Got a few errands done but got called back to consult with dentist. He wanted to ask me to choose between two options to fix the quack's fucked up, jury rigged device. I deferred to his judgment. It didn't take long.

Since The D is a man's man, he didn't need nitrous oxide or even novocaine (crazy, huh?), so we stopped by Chik-fil-a. So good to take care of supper.

By the way, I love my dentist, who's a long time friend. He asked how Daddy was doing. Then he asked how I was holding up. Wow. No one ever asks me that. It's all about The D. I felt affirmed.

Got home. Chatted on phone with some friends. Feeling clear-headed and focused. Funny thing is that two people (who happen to be love-interests) appeared from nowhere today. I didn't have time to talk. So without a doubt, they're hot on my trail. What is up with that? Glad I don't care. Gotta get through April 15th and then I'll think about finding my Prince Charming. Even though I feel like Cinderella more often than not, I'm not gonna wait around for Prince Charming to save me. I'll rescue myself.

That's it. Over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment