Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Friday, June 14, 2013

The Eagle has Landed

The Eagle being The Daddler.  He just got home from a week with two of his brothers and their wives.  They go to Gatlinburg every fall, and he and Mother used to go, too.  The D hasn't been since Mother died almost three years ago.  I don't think they went the year or two before that since Mother's health was so bad.  So it had been a long time.  He was really happy and excited when they invited him.

I started thinking that this is the first time I've been home alone since The D and I became roomies.  Wow.  What freedom!  Especially since Kiddo is in NYC doing his big internship.  I could transform this multi-generational abode into a swingin' bachelorette pad for four days and nights. 

I wish I could say that it was like Grand Central Station here.  That I had a stream of friends coming over and hanging out at all hours.  Sleepovers with all my besties, complete with constant chick flicks, trash-talkin' and junk food.  That I had every spare minute crammed full of  "me time."  I hate that phrase, by the way.  It sounds so hokey.  But I can't think of anything better to describe what I had in mind.

Instead, it turned out to be pretty lonely, and very quiet.  I did random things around the house and yard, read and did crossword puzzles, sat on the patio in my swimsuit, took occasional dips in my new kiddie pool (Sally loved it.)  The only company I had was one friend who stayed a couple hours.  Other than that, it was me and the dogs.   I was surprised to find myself missing The D on the second day.   I didn't miss fixing his meals, though.

Back to the dogs.  They were experiencing severe separation anxiety.  They went nuts when he got home today.  I swear, I could hook them behind a plow and they'd outdo any mules around.  They're incredibly strong.  I had them on their leashes, waiting in the front yard for The D's big arrival.  It was a sweet reunion.  For me, too.  In fact, I was surprised when The Daddler made a bee-line for me and gave me a big hug.  Pleasantly, of course.  Maybe he missed me, too.

He brought me a few gifts.  Namely, some fried apple pies from some place called The Apple Barn.  A loaded baked potato soup mix.  And a tiny bottle of maple syrup.  Since I don't eat any of those things, and he loves them, it's the equivalent of a husband buying his wife a power saw for her birthday.  Or sexy lingerie. 

Speaking of gifts, I've decided to skip the Father's Day gifts.  Instead, I'm gonna fix a nice lunch.  Little sis will come, and nothing could make him happier.

Well, I'm gonna wrap up this post and go spend a little quality time napping on the sofa with Fox News blaring on the TV.  Now, that'll feel like home...

No comments:

Post a Comment