Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Fun With Friends

I had the best time with my friends, K & H, last night.  We have this little tradition of Friday night happy hour, followed by dinner.  Usually, I pick up a pound or two of ground beef from the Folk's Folly butcher shop and K grills them to perfection (charcoal, not gas.)  We do extra so we have leftovers - Kiddo used to love it when I brought one home for him.  We did something different last night, though.

I begrudgingly parted with generously contributed four of my Legal Seafoods' crabcakes in my freezer's stash. OMG, there's nothing better on earth. H made remoulade sauce from scratch.  Yum. 

Actually, I should back up.  K & H have the best weekend rituals.  Friday night is bourbon and popcorn.  I think they do martinis on Saturday and wine on Sunday.  K is a bourbon connoisseur. H is a Maker's Mark girl, and I drink my watery beer.  Can't do the hard stuff.  K plays deejay on their sound system.  Last night we picked The Stones.  I love random questions, so I asked them to choose their favorite songs.  H said Beast of Burden.  I think K liked Honkey Tonk Woman best.  And I picked You Can't Always Get What You Want.  But then I've been in a philosophical mood lately.  Otherwise, Start Me Up probably would've been my choice.

They started talking about In A Gadda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly.  I didn't recognize the name, but when we played it on YouTube, I recognized it instantly.  That's one of those songs my older sister blasted over and over.  Like Whole Lotta Love.  And like that one, I totally misinterpreted the lyrics.  I thought it was something like, "And I got it Anita, da, da..."  Not sure what I thought he got or how Anita fit into things.  But then, I thought the singer was falling down a well in Whole Lotta Love.

K & H prepared the meal while I perched on a stool at their breakfast bar and looked up random things on K's new Xoom.  I usually try to help, but since I'd offered the sacrificial crab cakes, I didn't feel bad about being waited on.  They're such gracious hosts.

Charlie, though, is another matter.  Their Weimeraner.  He is always so excited to see me.  He gets all up in my bidness.  He even knocked me down once.  I need a dog.  Beulah, the Bulimic Cat, doesn't give a damn about me.  That reminds me.  She hasn't thrown up in weeks.  Wonder what's up with that?

After dinner, Charlie reminded me of my recent blog quote by his namesake, Charlie Brown.  "In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."  I shared this wisdom and then conducted another poll.  Which Peanuts character are you most like?

H said she was Sally, but I thought she had a good bit of Lucy.  She's very confident.  But she's also cute and tiny and blond.  And sweet.

K said Charlie.  I told him he had lots of Schroeder, too.  Who happens to be Lucy's love interest.  We all agreed that Charlie is Snoopy.  As for me, it varies.  Usually, though, I'm a Linus/Lucy combo.  They're both Van Pelts.  So maybe I'm the middle child.  That's perfect, because Lucy is the classic oldest child and Linus is definitely the baby.  And we all know about the messed-up middle child.

Trivia ensued.  K remembered the name of Linus' teacher.  He had a major crush on her.  Linus, not K.  The teacher, Miss Othmar, married and became Mrs. Hagemeyer.  Linus had a hard time with that.

Hey, I just had a great idea!  Howzabout a Peanuts' reunion?  All grown-up.  Lucy would be a Meg Whitman type.  Linus would be in and out of rehab, with several restraining orders for stalking Sally.  Charlie would be an actuary.  Schroeder would turn out to be a very talented cross between Josh Groban, Elton John and Andrea Bocelli.  Only more gay and less blind.  Why else wouldn't he have succumbed to Lucy's charms?  Peppermint Patty would be a high school P.E. teacher.  In a long-term relationship with Marcie.  The little red-haired girl would be on Housewives of Some Random City - replete with surgical and chemical enhancements.  But still beautiful.  In a Barbie Doll kinda way.   Snoopy, of course, would be dead.  Those damn dog years.

Well, I could go on and on.  But it's a beautiful day and the leaves are calling me like a Greek Chorus. 

Over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment