Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Death and Taxes

I'm painfully aware of the inevitable.  I was so sad to hear that a friend died, unexpectedly, Thursday.  He was the off-again/on-again main squeeze of a close friend.  She was devastated.  Even though they'd been off for a few months, they remained good friends.  He was a stand-up guy.  She'd texted him the night before, just to check in and say hello.

I know it's not all about me, but he was just seven years older than I am.  So that pesky mortality thing has been on my mind.  Truth be told, though, it doesn't seem real.  When my GF called to tell me the terrible news, I headed over to her house.  I picked up wine on the way.  We drank a toast to him.  Several, in fact.  We sat on the sofa and she cried.  We talked about silly things we'd done.  I called two of my friends who'd known him through me.  We watched the very funny video she'd made one night when we made dinner at her house.  She was chasing me around like a paparazzo.  I was trying to avoid being captured on her iPad because I was wearing my workout clothes and my hair was in pigtails and I didn't have on any lipstick.  And I didn't trust her not to post it on YouTube.  Believe me, I'd hate for my butt in yoga pants to be broadcast on the World Wide Web.  Around that time, her guy walked in and joined the fun.  What a sweet memory.

She cried and cried until her eyes were almost swollen shut and finally went to bed.  I fell asleep on her sofa.  I have a high empathy quotient, so I've been pretty broken hearted for her.

Ok, that covers death.  Now for taxes.  Ugh.  I have got to finish my return, come hell or high water, by March 1st, because I have to prepare the dreaded FAFSA thang so Kiddo can get more scholarship/grant money.  It's worse than the tax return.  Being self-employed makes my stuff really complicated.  It wouldn't be so bad if I were remotely organized, but unfortunately, that hasn't happened, in spite of the time I've spent on FlyLady.  And here I sit, blogging about not wanting to do my tax return.  Actually, I've worked on it a good bit this weekend, and I'm just taking a little break.  I've refrained from Words With Friends and haven't read the paper yet (but I did do the crossword puzzle.)

Soooo, I think I'll get back to it.  I'll feel much better when I'm done.  And it's never as bad as it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment