Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Friday, February 11, 2011


Yup. That's me. Can you believe there was only one google image of the pre-fairy godmother Cindy? When I say I feel like Cinderella, I'm thinking of the poor, exhausted girl at the beginning of the story. Complete with an evil step-sister. But that's a blog unto its own.

I'm so frazzled on Fridays. Totally fried. Seriously. New client with incredibly difficult software and very complicated biz. Love my client, but struggling to keep up. My ADD medicine wears off around the time I get to their office, so I'm transformed from an intelligent, competent professional into a blithering idiot. I think they're starting to doubt me. Today I had about 12 different manila files with scribbled, nonsensical labels, and the owner asked me what invoices needed to be paid. I started frantically flipping through the files, and could not even see what was in front of me. She stood and waited. I got more anxious. Finally I said, "Can I have a minute to regroup? It's here somewhere." Her cheeks got red (as in flustered, or worse, angry), and I felt like I was in trouble with the teacher.

I'm this way every week, but today was worse. I'd just sat through 2 hours of online software training with a doofus who was reading a script. I'm proud to say I stumped him a couple times. He said "Development is looking into that." Right...

The good news is that I figured out how to do some better reports. Turns out, the icons are tiny - you'd never notice them. He kept saying "These are small but we're trying to preserve real estate on the screen." I struggled to stop from blurting out, "How about preserving my eyesight??" On that note, I thought ahead to bring my glasses. I only need them to see the cards on the poker table and to wear under 3D glasses at the movie theater, but I knew there'd be several of us clumped around a monitor and figured I'd need them. The glasses helped, except they're bifocals and since I never wear them, I kept rolling my head around, trying to focus. Damn, now that I think about it, client probably thought I was strung out on LSD or something. Or whatever would make your head roll around. I'm not good with my street drugs. At least not yet. Gimme time.

I finally finished up everything that couldn't wait until Monday and packed up to go at 5:30. I told the owner that I was going to start coming at 10 a.m. as many mornings as I could - starting Monday. That I'd be much fresher in the morning. And that by working only two or three hours at a time, I'd be much more productive. I thanked her for her patience and promised her that by the end of next week, I'd have a system in place that would make sense. A good set of files, some forms and checklists, and whatever tools I need to get organized. I think I'll use colored folders. That always helps. She seemed relieved, so I left feeling better.

I decided to stop somewhere on the way home to get The D something for dinner. Bless his heart, he's gotta be sick of cabbage, veggies, salads, bran muffins, grapes, peaches, prunes and high fiber oatmeal. He was overdue for something fried and fiber-free. Time to give that Lipitor a run for its money.

I bellied up to the bar at Rafferty's. Asked for a menu and a beer. Was having trouble making decisions, but settled on the chicken tenders with a baked sweet potato. They brought me a huge beer. Turns out that draft is double the size of a bottle, for the same price. While I drank and waited, I checked my stocks. They had done very well that day - that always helps my mood. I had two that were up around 8% - un-fuckin-believable. My food came so I settled up and left.

I walked in the door at 6:30 with The D's meal in hand. He was waiting for me like a puppy. He usually eats around 5, so I was late. I whipped out his food and put it on his tray. He was happy as a clam. He liked my choices. He devoured it. Even said it was "good." Not "pretty good" or "all right", but "good".

Ok. Back to Cinderella. While I was sitting at the bar, the atmosphere was festive. People were starting their weekends. Meeting friends. Laughing and talking. I felt forlorn. My BFF Jessica was in Vegas on business, while I was stuck here. I didn't have time to stay and drink another one of those big, frosty draft beers. Just as well, empty stomach. No time for a DUI. As I left the cozy bar and headed into the dreary, dark, cold night, I thought of that sad Fogelberg song - Same Old Lang Syne.

And fought back the tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment