Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Time to Pay the Piper


After a frantic Friday at the end of my wild week, my buddy Jessica and I arranged to meet after work at the new Jim's Place, just to belly up to the bar, have a quick drink and order dinner to go for The D. She was exhausted, too.

Turned out, it was THE happenin' place. Bar crammed but I managed to snag a couple seats. I tossed back a couple beers while J sipped a martini - extra dirty. I love it when she gets those because I get to eat the olives! We started playing a really fun bar game. No, it wasn't beer pong. But I was pretty good at quarters back in the day. I haven't played pong, but I'm thinking there's much more skill involved in quarters.

J had a much more sophisticated game in mind. We'd pick someone and try to figure out his or her story. We're very hard on the women, but even harder on the men. We wound up having a great convo with the two cute guys next to us. They were young and married, so it was harmless fun. The pretty young wife of one of them showed up, and we loved her! They were good sports - we played 20 (more like 50) questions, trying to figure out where they worked, what they did, etc. I tried to guess their first names based on their initials. Never got the first one. Do you know how many names start with J? The second guy's name started with B and I got it the very first time. They were impressed.

We laughed so much and before you could say "Bob's your uncle", it was 9:00. We closed our tab and when I got home with The D's dinner, he had gone to bed. I felt terrible.

This morning when he got up, I asked if he'd found something for dinner, and he said no. I told him I was so sorry, but he said it was ok. I fixed him waffles for breakfast and that absolved my guilt. In the interest of full disclosure, though, they were just Eggos. But I did make his favorite French toast twice this week.

I asked him if he wanted to go to the senior center this week and he said yes. I'm so glad. It'll be good for him.

I've given up trying to find someone to help me around the house. The second woman the agency sent only lasted three days. I'm just wondering if saving $18/hour is enough to motivate me to do the frickin' laundry and dishes. We'll see.

If The D eats lunch at the senior center, I could just pick up dinner somewhere, and I can go back to the PB&J sandwiches I was eating between Kiddo's departure for college and The D's arrival. Not many dirty dishes or grocery shopping that way. Laundry's not that bad if I can stay on top of it. Housekeeper comes once/week for the heavy duty cleaning.

Had a good dream about Mother last night. I told The D about it. She was healthy and strong, he was kissing her, and I took her to their house and she liked the painting and fixing up we've done so far. Evil older sister showed up, quite contrite and apologizing profusely (that'll never happen), and somehow I was able to forgive her. Kinda. I think she was just there to make sure Mother didn't tell The D to cut her out of his will. I swear, I know she would've if she'd known half the lies the evil bitch told. And that she'd choked and threatened me at the hospital. And turned my entire extended family against me and little sis, Daphne. But that's neither here nor there. Daph is big into Karma these days and she keeps reminding me "What comes around, goes around." Wise words.

My Karma's been improving leaps and bounds and it's paying off big time with my biz, adjusting to life with The D, and lots of other little things.

Ok, enough rambling. I'd better get busy. The Piper is about to break my knees if I don't pay up...

No comments:

Post a Comment