Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Monday, February 14, 2011

On a Lighter Note...

I was somewhat delirious when I wrote this morning's post. But it was all true. I won't change a thing.

It was cleansing. So I was open to a new day. No expectations.

I tried to embrace structure, and managed to take my shower before 9, but I was still in my robe with my hair in a towel an hour later. I asked The D if he wanted to head to the senior center, and he said he did. Great! Today - baked chicken, baked potato, English peas, salad, rolls and Valentine Cake for dessert. Turns out that V-cake was red velvet cake. OMG - that brings back memories for me. Another post...

I wanted to be at my client's office by 10, but it was closer to 11. No biggie - just working on my own. Dropped D at the door and said I'd see him later. He's turned into quite the social butterfly. It makes me so happy that he's comfortable on his own.

I got some good work done from 11 - 12:30, then had to head home to interview an accountant friend, Mikie. I desperately need help. I'm soooo excited to say that we're a perfect fit. I am so relieved. She knows how to pay bills. Close books. I can say "A/P" and she knows I mean Accounts Payable. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but every profession has its own language, for a good reason. It's SOOO much more efficient. Even though I like the idea of teaching, I'm terrible at it. I've experienced way too many deer-in-the-headlight looks. Mikie has actually done it. She can put her thoughts into words a non-cpa can understand. I can't. She's bright, funny, loud and irreverant. Gotta love that. We spent a good two hours talking about my biz, what I need, and what she wants. She's perfect. Happy to do anything. I think this will be more of a partnership than an employer/employee relationship. What a relief!

After our two hour convo, I asked her if she was on board. She said, "I wouldn't have spent this much time with you if I weren't." Girl after my own heart. I said, "Great - you're my first employee!" I want to give you a signing bonus. Took her into my crazy den/office and tried to print my second QuickBooks check on my new LLC account, and it took us 15 minutes to get the printer to do it. The cool thing is that she completely got it. Has the same problem. We both do the same thing. Turn everything off and then back on. Works every time!

I printed her check with the memo field - Signing Bonus :) and proudly handed it to her. She said, "Do you want to sign it?" I said, "Good idea. If I forget, go ahead and make my squiggle." She laughed at my nano-second signature. I'm so proud of it. Saves time. Truth is, you could sign - "I'm a monkey" and the bank wouldn't notice. Unless you called and said, "I didn't sign this check." Too complicated to explain except to say, "No harm, no foul."

I realized it was time to pick The D up from senior center. Stopped at Fresh Market on the way to find something for dinner. Rotisserie chicken and cinnamon muffins for breakfast. Forgot the lunch menu was baked chicken. Oh, well. He was watching Dr. Oz when I got there. He said he'd walked not one, but two times around the track. Once before lunch and once after. Whoa. It's a mile long. Weather was nice. He said he went to the pool room and watched the old men play after lunch. He didn't mind that I was a little late. We talked about his day on the way home.

I took a shortcut through a really great neighborhood, and slowed down when I saw a sweet pooch wandering in the street. Clearly a pet. Fat. Cute. Sweet. I jumped out of my car and grabbed him up. Threw that 100 lb. creature into The D's lap. Told D to check the tag. He said, "It's Louie." I looked at the tag and found a phone number, but no address. Luckily, a lady answered and I told her we had Louie. She told me she was in the big white house. We were in front of it. She said she'd come out. The D and Louie were bonding. Major Bromance. Both were hard of hearing. The workman had left the gate wide open. Poor Louie. We hated to say goodbye.

We headed home and The D checked the mail, brought the garbage can back from the curb and I unloaded groceries. I watered the pansies, put away the clean dishes, loaded the dirty ones, pushed wrinkle release for the 15th time on the load of clothes in the dryer. Steamed broccoli, sliced rotisserie chicken, made real mashed potatoes... You get the idea.

And here I sit. Feeling less panicked. Not so overwhelmed. Sad that I don't have a valentine, but ok with it. I have a feeling that this time next year, Valentine's Day might be very different. But if it's not, I'll be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment