Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Crap!

No, this is not another poop update. "Crap" was the first word to leave my mouth this morning. I woke up with a start at 6:30 and remembered that The D told me yesterday that we were out of coffee. I jumped up to run to the grocery store, but I looked out the window and saw three inches of snow and thought better of it. I'd have gone anyway, but there's a treacherous overpass between my house and the little grocery store half a mile away. I couldn't run to Kroger (no hills or bridges) because every single fuckin' time I go to Kroger without makeup, I see someone I know and they tell me I look "tired."

So I searched the kitchen high and low, hoping I'd find some ancient little vacuum-packed thing of a Christmas themed coffee. No luck. I remembered two little individul packs of Nescafe instant coffee. Sigh of relief. Is that stuff even real coffee? Just then, I looked out the kitchen window and there was NO snow! Power of suggestion, I suppose. Maybe my bad eyesight, too?

So I threw on some sweats and my down coat and ran to the little grocery store. Put my hood up to cover major bed-head. But I never see anyone I know there, so no biggie. Ran to coffee aisle. First time in my life I've ever gone to the grocery store to buy one thing and left with just one thing.

Got home. Had text from housekeeper that she was coming early to beat the weather. Thank god - the kitchen was a wreck.

Got my butt in gear and headed to client's office. Accomplished top priorities around the time the blizzard started. There's nothing that can't wait until my regular Friday session. Thank goodness for technology - so much I can do from home. Ran by my parents' house to check on painting progress. Headed home around 1:15. Took me 30 minutes instead of usual 15. Not bad considering roads and traffic. Glad I was going against traffic. Still slid more than once. Would've wiped out if not for all wheel drive, anti-lock brakes and the presence of mind to downshift (yes, I drive a stick-shift - only because men find it sexy.) Truth about manual transmission. It was cool when I was a new college graduate. I love to be different. Plus, they're cheaper, safer and more fuel-efficient. So it's just a happy accident that men find it sexy. Won't even think about the reasons for that.
Sweet thing. I got in and Daddy ran to the door. Happy to see me. He told me he'd just fixed some... I guessed - hot chocolate? He said yes, and asked if I wanted him to fix some for me. Wow. It's like I said earlier - he shows his love with his actions. I felt so loved. It was a beautiful moment. I noticed the mailman, and I told him not to go to the mailbox because if he fell, I couldn't get him to the hospital. I put on my hiking boots, and when I headed out the door to get the mail, he told me to be careful on the steps.

So here I sit. Happily blogging. Watching the snow fall and glad to be in for the duration. Comforted by knowing The D is happy. Missing mother but feeling her presence and love. Certain that she's very proud of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment