Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Coming Up for Air

After a non-stop Saturday, including a client meeting at 4:00 and a few other things, I had dinner with people fewer than 30 years my senior last night. My GF Jolynna is the sweetest girl and the best hostess in the world. Poor thing somehow hurt her back, but being the trooper that she is, the show did go on. I brought my heating pad and a couple pain pills I had left from my sprained ankle two summers ago. She fixed lots of great food and we grilled hamburgers. By the way, the ground beef from Folk's Folly meat market is the best in the world. Oh, and my buddy Shlomo brought a birthday cake that said "Happy 80th Birthday!" Long story there - I'll have to tell it another time.

After that, we piled up on the sofa and watched Cold Mountain. Depressing as hell, but a happy ending. We criticized Nicole Kidman's attempt at changing her Aussie accent into a southern one. And Jude Law - British into southern. I decided that they enunciated too well. And as I recall, they never said "fixin' to" or "y'all." Maybe they didn't use those words during the War of Northern Agression. But Renee Zellweger nailed it. Of course, she had an advantage. She's from Texas. She stole the show. Talk about a spunky girl.



We had a problem with Nicole's hair looking so great considering they clearly didn't have showers, shampoo, conditioner or other hair care products, much less a blow drier or big barrel curling iron. So how did she get those lovely tousled waves? Renee's hair was a rat's nest - one more reason to love her.

Home by midnight. The D wanted to go to church this morning. So we went. Good sermon. Ruth and Naomi. I felt rather Ruth-ish - she lived with her mother-in-law, Naomi.

The D and I skipped the biz meeting following the service and headed to a new place called Southern Hands. It was great. Good food and lots of it. We'll get at least four more meals from our leftovers.

Now we're home and I've got an urge to shop. I'm gonna hit the thrift store (I live for that place) and a couple other places. I'll go by Fresh Market and get Daddy some muffins. He loves them and we're out.

I'm gonna run. So glad to be able to write a bitch-free blog post! But it's not even 2:00 yet. We'll see how it goes.

Over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment