Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Sunday, March 13, 2011

About Last Night

So much fun at my BFF Angela's house. I lucked into steaks on the barbie. Tucked into my beer supply. Spent quality time with my sweet "niece." Talked about all the fun we'll have since we'll be even closer and she can pop over any time. When I'm at their house, I seem to morph into a 14 year old. We look at gossip magazines. I grill my girl about boys and school.

In the summer, we go out to the pool and crank up her juke box and dance around to Ke$ha, Lady GaGa and Katy Perry. Her mom joins in and we just laugh and laugh. Her dad looks on and I wonder what he thinks of me. I always tell niece not to drink like Aunt Carol. Or cuss. I frequently let some bad ones slip. I tell her not to talk like that either.

We always go out to the pool house to visit with Mimi, Angie's mother, and she's usually happy to see me. She has Alzheimers (way harder to deal with than The D's stuff), and she thinks of me as a daughter, too. I couldn't have made it through the last few months without my dear friend. No one can understand unless they've been through it.

And that's part of why I started this blog. See, it's not just a narcissistic, attention seeking device for me. It's therapeutic, for sure. But I also like the idea of finding readers who are in the same spot and might enjoy my silly, irreverant, rambling attempts at finding humor and joy in a difficult situation. One day, I did a google search for similar blogs. All I could find were serious ones. Written by social workers. Very clinical. WebMD-ish. Too bad. But it's nice to know my blog might be one of a kind. Like me.

Back to my outing last night. I crashed on their sofa. Had a nice visit with Angie over coffee this morning. Apologized for telling her to go get me ice cream last night. I heard her say, in a not-so-happy tone of voice, "I guess I'm going to the grocery store for ice cream." I said, "Oh, forget the ice cream." I probably would've been asleep by the time she got back. What's amazing is that she didn't tell me to fuck off. Because she's so incredibly sweet to me. She's been there for me through thick and thin. Richer or poorer. Sickness and health. And she loves, honors and cherishes me. It's nice to feel cherished. Unfortunately, that was missing from my marriage. And I cherish her, too. I couldn't have made it through the last 25 years without her. I think her husband tolerates me, and I'm happy with that. And of course, her girl loves me.

So, here I am. It's already after 2:00 (lost the damn hour, but it'll be nice to have the extra daylight). Kiddo's back at Chapel Hill. And now I need to get my ass in gear and act like a grown-up again. No easy feat for silly me...

No comments:

Post a Comment