Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Settling In

As hard as this move has been, it's finally paying off. The House Boat is stll stacked to the ceiling with boxes and bags, but that's not bothering me. I told Sarita and Sheila if they'd do a carport sale with my excess stuff, we'd split the proceeds three ways. I'm terrible at carport sales. I get pissed off when people say they'll give me a nickel for something marked for a quarter. Which I paid $10 for. Or they want to buy something for 75 cents and try to pay with a hundred dollar bill. Right. If you add up all my time, I make about 37 cents per hour. My tax deduction is worth way more than that. I have a feeling S & S can pull it off. I just have to watch that they don't sell stuff I need.

When I started winding down last night, my niece called. I'd forgotten she was in town for the music festival and said she might spend the night. She'd gone to the old house and was shocked when someone else came to the door and said I didn't live there any more. Guess I forgot to mention that little detail. I gave her the simple directions for the nine tenths of a mile trek to the House Boat. She's worse than me. Called twice, lost. Even with the church sign that shines like a beacon, proclaiming "Life is fragile. Handle with prayer."

So I told her I'd stand in the driveway. I didn't know what her car looked like. There's not much traffic on my street outside school hours and since she was just two minutes away, I tried to flag down the first car that came along. In my pajamas and bare feet. Turned out, it wasn't her. I was so embarrassed. I can just imagine the next neighborhood association meeting. The beer and wine bottles in the recycle bin. All the rough looking men (who happen to be plumbers and cable men) coming and going at all hours of the day and night. Now that I think about it, I've had at least ten men here in the past few days. And that's not counting Sarita's man dropping her off and picking her up, and of course, FF. Maybe my tasteful ferns at the front door and my UNC flag will count for something. And the freshly mowed lawn. And the Daddler Patrol.

Back to sweet niece. The D had already gone to bed but since his big ass bedroom TV was still blaring, we went in to say hello. He was happy to see her. I'd forgotten to tell him she was coming.

Then we sat in my cozy den and drank beer and ate some Friday's potato skins I had in the freezer. She painted her nails and we talked about our BFs. I tried to call FF, but he didn't answer. I think he was out with friends. I'd hoped we could Skype so she could meet him. I also wanted him to hear my crystal clear voice on my cool new phone. I'm going to figure out how to Skype on it - I have a feeling it's a premium service. I think I'll use it lots, though. Especially with JoJo and her iPad. Just think, we can get each other's opinions on our clothes, shoes, hair and makeup any time.

Now to the point of my post. Here I sit, finally relaxed and content. Sweet niece is sleeping soundly in Kiddo's bed. He'll be home at the end of next week. Can't wait. Gotta get his room in good shape. I put the big ass TV from my den into his bedroom to surprise him.

My other niece and her family are coming over to see Good House and we're gonna take The D to Central BBQ for lunch.

I thinking of all the wonderful memories I've already made in my new home. Spending time with FF here. Listening to him play my new guitar and sing to me, giving me lessons, and long, long convo's about everything. Jumping on the bed together. And a few other things I won't mention. Then last night, the little visit at the kitchen table with two girlfriends. My niece's visit.

So the sadness I felt about leaving my old house behind has been replaced with excitement about all the new things in store for me at my new house. So maybe I'll quit calling it House Boat and go back to the original name The D gave it. Good House.

No comments:

Post a Comment