Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Monday, June 11, 2012

Adventure

A unique opportunity just came my way.  Something I would never think of.  Ever.

A trip to Vietnam and Cambodia.

I know.  Especially since I've never even been to Europe.  Brazil is the extent of my overseas travel.  Not counting the fact that I lived in Japan for a year.  Which doesn't count, because I was a year old when I left.  Yup.  I was born there.  I'm a proud Air Force Brat.

One of my BFFs, Mel (my S.C. travel buddy), called this morning and said she was planning to go to Vietnam and Cambodia in November.  To her cousin's wedding.  Wanted to know if I'd think about going with her.  At first, I thought, "No way."  I'm old enough to remember the Vietnam war.  I was a kid at the time, but my parents watched the news every night, (The D is still a news-hound), and consequently, I saw lots of footage of the war.  No Cartoon Network or Disney Channel back then.  The only cartoons were on Saturday mornings.  At the risk of dating myself (no one else seems to want to), I'll tell you that it was a huge deal when cassette tape recorders came out.  My little sister and I would tape I Dream of Jeannie and listen to it over and over again.  We were desperate for entertainment.  Because back then, we didn't have texting, YouTube, FaceBook, DVDs, DVRs, On Demand, smart phones...you get the idea.  Our choices, not counting Saturday mornings, were TV Wrestling Saturday afternoon, playing outside, and reading.  The crazy thing is that we had so much free time.  We didn't have to spend six or eight hours on homework every night.  No summer reading assignments.  No competitive sports - my athletic career consisted of baton lessons when I was seven and skating classes when I was eight.  Or nine.  And playing HORSE with my brother.  Tackle football sometimes.  And having knock-down-drag-outs with my sibs.  Riding my bike.  Jumping on the bed.  Risking a broken neck in my feeble attempt at cheerleading/gymnastics.  And chasing Pooh when he ran away.

Lucy does that, too.  It makes me crazy.  But it's kinda sweet, sentimental, and reminiscent of the good ole' days.  Luckily, she's gotten too big to get through the iron gates in the backyard.  All the treats The Daddler administers have an upside.

Back to my point, though.  Mel has traveled the world.  She and Roger planned their wedding in Iceland, but that stupid volcano eruption put the kibosh on that.  As she started talking about the Indochina peninsula, it sounded better and better.  First, it's cheap.  Next, it's undiscovered by tourists, and therefore, unspoiled.  Beautiful.  Then there's the thing about going with Mel.  We have so much fun together.

Ok, all this to say that I'm seriously considering it.  I need to do some research, including cash flow projections, but I think it would be the opportunity of a lifetime.  It's not until November, but this kinda thing requires lots of preparation.  Probably a visa.  Malaria medicine.  Hepatitis vaccinations.  Tetanus.  Typhoid fever. 

Lots to do.  Better run.  Over and out...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, too cool, what an opp. How could you not go on something like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, for sure go.
    I have wanted to do a culinary bicycle trip in Vietnam. Backroads and other bike trip groups offer it. The food on your trip will be fantastic. You should for sure do it. Plus you can get tons of manicures and pedicures for real cheap.

    ReplyDelete