Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Monday, June 20, 2011

Fuck the Napkin

Oh my god. I just outdid myself. I worked like a dog in the yard. Came in the house and realized that it was time for The D's din din. Heated up homemade soup. And buttermilk cornbread. Fixed a bowl of fresh blueberries and sliced some strawberries. Microwaved some leftover, homemade mashed potatoes. Put it on the tray. Asked if he wanted milk. He always does.

I put the milk away and checked on him. He was agitated. He needed a napkin. I can't even go there.

Nothing is good enough. Ever. I am so ready for five blissful days away from this purgatory of my life. Sure, he's 79 years old. Lost his wife 8 months ago. But I lost my mother. And I'm stuck with my dad. And he's not the nicest person in the world. But I owe my genetic makeup to him. And that makes me patient. Because, ultimately, I like my genes. He's smart, but uneducated. He never had a chance. I don't want to get into details, but he didn't have a childhood.

That's enough. He's a child now. I'm his parent. I'm a much better mother than the one who pushed him out of her birth canal. I comfort myself with that. I fail kiddo. But there's redemption with The Daddler. If only because I honor my mother every time I'm tempted to retaliate but I resist.

Time for a shower. I miss Dude. But I have too much to do between now and Saturday morning. I need to avoid distraction. And he distracts me. He's smart that way. But I'm smarter. He'll figure that out one day.

I'm gonna check on The D. Run a hot bath. Paint my toe nails. Practice my guitar. Read my book. Do some watercoler. Or talk trash to FF. If he's lucky...

No comments:

Post a Comment