Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Things

I'm feeling hopeful again. And much calmer. It's been a weird week. I'm overdue for a little bit of normalcy. Or just a little relief from the craziness.

Yesterday, Deb came over. She's so good about spending time with The D every Saturday. Taking him to lunch and wherever else he wants to go. No wonder he looks forward to it so much. She's by far the sweetest of his daughters.

I spent some time in the afternoon sitting on my patio in my swimsuit, listening to Anna Nalick's Wreck of the Day cd and peeling Gorilla Glue from my fingers. About the swimsuit, I figured I'd better get a little sun before I head to sunny Florida next weekend. I got a little pink (doesn't take long), but hopefully not enough to make me peel. On the other hand, a little peeling sunburn might coordinate well with my peeling, leprotic-looking hands.

My nephew sat outside with me and we had a long talk about life. I remember how hard it was to be 17. I think it must be exponentially worse for boys. Trying to find your way. Figuring out how you want to spend your life. And just feeling so damn overwhelmed. Funny thing is that I'm experiencing some of those feelings, too. After almost a half-century on Big Blue. Maybe that's why we connected. I love that kid. My heart breaks for him. All I can do is listen. And try to encourage him. And tell him I love him. I have a feeling he doesn't hear that enough. Does anyone?

Late afternoon, I threw on my brown sundress over my pink shoulders and green fingers, put on my silver sandals, and headed downtown to the Sunset Symphony with my BGF (best guy friend) Rich. We had a nice time. Very low-key. I ate way too many barbeque sliders and cucumber crostinis. Ran into a few people I knew, but nowhere near what I thought.

And really, there was only one awkward experience. But it had nothing to do with my divorced status. And I wasn't the one who felt awkward. It did feel perversely satisfying to see someone else embarrassed for a change. And he deserved it. Cheating ex-husband of a mom-friend whom I haven't seen in quite some time. It was one of those deals where, out of the blue, the husband leaves, takes up with some not-so-attractive-but-lots-younger ho, and the wife simulateously realizes all the money is gone and the tuition hasn't been paid and the bastard lost his job/business/all his clients three months ago. These poor wives are generally smart, accomplished women, but clueless, too, I suppose. I've known too many of them.

I did my usual polite thing when faced with the perp. I pretend nothing happened, ask them about their children, refrain from asking if the current wife is the aforementioned ho, and if I'm feeling charitable, I don't ask how their business is going. In this case, however, the schmuck was an attorney and I asked him if he worked for the firm (whose BBQ sliders I'd been inhaling). Here's how it went from there:
Schmuck: No. (he didn't work for the firm)
Me: Oh, what's your connection to the Firm?
(awkward silence)
S: My wife works for a client.
Me: Which one?
S: The bank.
Me: Rich works for the bank. What department?
S: (can't remember which one, but it was one of those vague corporate nonsense names using some combination of buzzword bingo words involving the word Services)
Me: What is her name?
S: Something.
Me, to Rich: Do you know her?
Rich: No, I'm not familiar with that department.
Me: Rich is an attorney. Don't you practice law?
S: Yes. (followed by silence)
I guess he was following the attorney's creed - never volunteer anything. Which made me flip into auditor mode and continue with the third degree.
Me: What area of law do you practice?
Long awkward silence. Very long.
S: Bankruptcy.
Just from the way he said it, we knew immediately his clients were the creditors. In other words, he was a bottom feeder.
Even longer awkward silence.
S - to Rich: Your bank sues my clients.
It provided a little levity, we laughed way too hard, and I seized the opportunity to abandon Rich and Schmuck to get more BBQ sliders and those cucumber thingies.

Later, we chatted with one of R's co-workers and her husband. Somehow we got on the subject last week's aborted rapture. Well-educated by my late night radio habit, I filled them in on the key dates and the fact that since the rapture didn't happen, we didn't have to worry about October 15th, because that would've been the end of the six months of tribulation when the world would be destroyed by fire. Come to think of it, that is my final tax deadline. Ugh.

Turns out, co-worker's hub listens to talk radio, too. The political kind. Rush Limbutt, to be exact. Then he started in about the Muslim in the White House and wife was clearly embarrassed and I made my usual joke about belonging to the IDGAF party. This didn't dissuade whack job from his tirade, so when he finally took a breath, I said, "Hey, I've got a good idea! We've covered religion and politics. Let's talk about sex! It's much more interesting." Dude said, "Well, I've always considered myself monogomous..." About then, the 1812 Overture started blasting, and the fireworks show began. Thank god in heaven above.


I got home around 11 or so. Utterly exhausted. Invited BGF in for a minute and turned on Saturday Night Live. He loves it. I don't get it. I really didn't get it last night. He said it was probably just beneath me. We only watched a few minutes before I booted him out. He took his sugar free ginger ale and the boxes of Peeps (those florescent, sugary, marshmallow things) I'd gotten him for Easter but never had a chance to give him. He has this weird love of Peeps. Go figure. Maybe it has to do with the SNL thing.

Had a good night's sleep. I filled The D's pill boxes last night, so don't have to do that part of my Sunday morning routine. I guess I'll get to see FF's Sunday morning routine this time next week. I have a feeling it'll be nice.

On that note, it's almost time for CBS Sunday morning, so I'm signing out...

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, how do you maintain this creative writer mentality so well ?
    L

    ReplyDelete