Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Feeling Forlorn

I had my regular Saturday morning client meeting today. This delays the start of my weekend. Which is just as well, given that I have no social life.

Instead of waking up at my usual 2 a.m., I slept until 6:30. Somehow I managed to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I had razor sharp clarity. Is that redundant? I focused on the things said client had been asking about (and frowning about when I put him off), and produced some good "deliverables." In case you don't know, that's corporate-speak for "the shit I promised (or was supposed) to do."

In addition to the compliance stuff, I had a few genius ideas. Unfortunately, my genius spreadsheet (which had worked beautifully at home this morning) had a little snafu, but by then, I was getting into too much detail, so it was ok.

We made some good strategic decisions, and instead of stressing, I listened and thought. And communicated well. So my jokes were well-received (mostly) and I left feeling confident.

Well, I'm sure all this is fascinating, but I'll move along to something with a broader appeal. And explain why I'm feeling so forlorn.

It's late Saturday afternoon. Deb's already come and gone. Kiddo took my bike for a long ride. I'd run, but I don't want to chance hurting my knee. This house is quiet except for the distant sound of The Daddler's tv. I have 16 dozen cans of green beans (Deb & The D went to Sam's with my credit card and without a list, god forbid) on the kitchen floor. So I have this whole weekend stretching out in front of me. Ten million things I could do. But nothing urgent. Or exciting. If The Daddler hadn't had a late lunch with his beloved daughter at Picadilly, I'd think about fixing dinner for him. But he's not hungry. So I made brownies.



The smell is comforting. That's all I want to do. Smell them. Funny thing. I had this weird thought one day. If I had to lose one of my five senses, which would I choose? I went down the list. It was between taste and smell. Tough decision. I settled on taste, thinking I might lose weight. I asked FF what he'd choose. After a little period of deliberation, he said taste. Said 75% of taste is smell. Somehow, it made me like him a little more. Not so much that we had the same answer, but that he thought it through. And that he thought it was an interesting question. Not everyone can think in the abstract.

So, back to reality. I think I need to do something physical. And since I can't risk hurting my knee, I think I'll go work in the yard. Pruning is good therapy for me. I think I'll try the poison ivy block cream I bought, and maybe that'll reduce my anxiety about that. There's still some time on the brownies, so I'll have to ask The Daddler to come get me when the timer goes off. He'll like that. Maybe he'll just have brownies for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment