Welcome to my world!

My life's been crazy since my Daddy moved in with me immediately after my mother's death in October 2010. My one and only kiddo headed to college at Carolina at the end of August. So...I lived on my own, for the first time in my life, for a total of a blissful six weeks. Then, I started the parenting gig with my dad. He's a combination of a grouchy old man, a surly teenager and a temperamental toddler. Needless to say, I get very close to the brink of insanity sometimes. I get through life by finding the humor in difficult circumstances. And for some reason, I wind up in the weirdest situations. I couldn't make this stuff up. So I wind up having lots and lots crazy adventures which make great stories to share with my friends. Writing about my life is so therapeutic. My ramblings range from funny to sad to angry (full of cuss words) to sweet. While my focus is dealing with the trials and tribulations of being a parent to my Daddy, I have lots of random, totally unrelated posts. Whatever's on my mind. I love to make people laugh, and I'm happy to think my readers will get my strange sense of humor. And maybe, people who are in my situation will be encouraged. That's all I can hope for...

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Wisteria Lane

My buddy JoJo and I hit the GreenLine yesterday afternoon. It was perfect. A little chilly, not too crowded, and the wisteria was in full bloom. We got a good hour and 20 minutes of walking and running in (probably six miles). This was just my second time on the GL since before Mother got so sick in September. Jo is the perfect exercise partner. And it's soooo much more fun when you can blab the whole way.

I left my new house and she left hers and we met in the middle. Then we headed back to her house. Hydrated ourselves. Hung out with her BF for a little while and then she drove me back to my new house. I puttered around a little before heading back home. I'm gradually moving things there, but won't move furniture until afer tax day. I opened the closet in my new bedroom and noticed the Sprite can tucked in the corner. I guess some painter or repair man left it there and I've been meaning to pitch it. So I grabbed it, and noticed something very strange. There were little holes punched in a circle on the side, and it was was burned around the holes.
I called a friend who said it was probably a crack pipe. Needless to say, it totally creeped me out. I'm going to get the locks changed.

Another strange thing. Remember my letter to the funeral home? The one where I ranted about the cluster fuck of Mother's funeral and burial. I sent it to the executive office a month or so ago. After that, I received an acknowledgement of a donation to St. Jude in memory of Mother. I suppose that's because my letter mentioned that the obituary failed to mention the charities I specified. Then, the other day, I got an overnight letter from the funeral home. It contained ten original death certificates. I'd already paid for and received ten copies right after Mother died. So I guess this was a little peace offering. No note enclosed - just the certificates. Weird.

In the afternoon, for some reason, I took a look at The D's FaceBook page. My little propaganda machine. I started looking at the pictures I'd posted there.
I noticed that this picture was dated October 28. Exactly one week after Mother died. Those feelings all came flooding back. How sick Daddy was with his shingles. How very, very sad he was. How winter was setting in. How overwhelmed, sad, lonely and scared I was.

I've been so busy with work, the new house and so much more, that I haven't thought much about how awful it was. Plus, six months later, The D and I are doing so much better. The spring is beautiful. It seems appropriate that the dead of winter is over and the earth is springing to life. So I guess I was overdue for a good cry. I went to my bedroom and curled up under my comforter and remembered Mother. It's the first time I've done this, but I talked to her. Just said that I missed her and loved her. About that time, a good friend called to say hi, and the timing was perfect. I felt much better.

Maybe you can tell by the lack of direction of this post - I'm suffering from writer's block. I'm tempted to just delete the whole thing. I had trouble with the title, but I think it fits. The Desperate Housewives live on Wisteria Lane. One of my favorite tv shows. It's funny and strange and sweet. A little like my life.

So I'll close now. Hopefully, my next post will be more cohesive. And fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment